Re: Portable glibc binary package

On 03/18/2015 05:26 PM, Swati Kher -X (swkher - TALENT SPACE INC at Cisco) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a newbie and new to this mailing list.
>
> Iâve Red Hat 7 with kernel v 3.10.0 currently installed with
> libc-3.17
>
> I want to update and install glibc-2.21
>
> I have been able to configure and compile libc.so and libc.so.6 â but
> I need to update /usr/lib64 to this version but I get the following
> error:
>
> relocation error: /lib64/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_find_dso_for_object,
> version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 with
> link time reference

The entire glibc build must be installed as a collection, you cannot
install just libc.so.6.

I strongly suggest against upgrading your installed glibc on RHEL 7
unless you are a very experienced developer and packager. You might
break your system completely if you aren't careful.

The simplest thing to do actually is to start with a RHEL 7 VM and
then install the latest glibc RPM from Fedora 22, which is glibc-2.21
based. That way you don't have to compile and build anything and you
can use a pre-tested RPM for glibc that closely matches what you need.

You can get the builds for x86_64 and i686 here: