Re: getaddrinfo() AI_IDN feature test

On 09 Mar 2015 19:16, Martin Lambers wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Mar 2015 13:30:55 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > > The glibc as shipped with AstLinux <http://www.astlinux.org>. I do
> > > not have more information. Yes, AI_IDN is added unconditionally,
> > > but it is only actually accepted when glibc is compiled with
> > > libidn. See glibc-2.21/sysdeps/posix/getaddrinfo.c lines 2344-2347.
> >
> > yes, but if you trace back the code, you'll see that:
> > (1) libidn is always bundled with glibc
> > (2) the libidn configure scripts always define HAVE_LIBIDN
>
> Well, you can build glibc with --enable-add-ons="", thus disabling
> libidn, as the AstLinux people do. I have no idea why one would do that,
> but such systems exist.

indeed, that is the case now.  it wasn't originally that way, but was changed
long enough ago to cover pretty much all distros now.

defining AI_IDN even when the builder has explicitly disabled libidn support
does seem kind of weird, but we don't generally export those knobs into the
headers.  the only cases of generated headers i can think of are gnu/stubs*
and gnu/lib-names*.  gnu/stubs.h tracks functions, not function features, so
it doesn't seem like a good place for this.

i think the answer today is that we haven't really planned on the ramifications
here, so supporting detection of it isn't really possible other than at runtime.
most likely it'll remain this way until someone cares enough about it to come up
with a better answer ;).
-mike