Re: Timezone documentation buglet

On Thu 13 Mar 2014 09:16:16 Ineiev wrote:
> I'm a GNU webmaster; recently we received a bug report
> against glibc manual web pages, and we decided that I should
> submit a report to glibc maintainers.
>
> I've checked that the bug is present in glibc-2.19 and GIT master
> (as of 798212a013).  I haven't check glibc bug database
> and I'm not submitting it via [0] because it doesn't work for me
> ('Page Load Error', probably due to SSL issues).

loads fine for me ...

> On 03/08/2014 09:18 AM, Bert Katz - NOAA Affiliate via RT wrote:
>  >       On the web page
>  >
>  > http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-Variable.html
>  > (corresponding to section "21.4.7 Specifying the Time Zone with |TZ"),|
>  > the following lines are in error (caps for "TUESDAY" and "THURSDAY" are
>  > mine and highlight the
>  > needed correction):

these are really meant as examples for how to set the var rather than the
exact timezone rules.  so we'll always be chasing our tails as governments
tweak the laws.  i think we should either put in a caveat near the top that
says "these rules might be outdated; they're meant only as illustration of
setting the TZ value", or make up places that don't exist at all.
-mike