deprecated status of RPATH

Hi,

the ld.so(8) man page says "Use of DT_RPATH is deprecated." which I
understand is because the ELF spec declares it obsolete, replaced by
DT_RUNPATH.  Is it safe to assume (even if toolchains switch to
outputting DT_RUNPATH by default, which I've been informed SUSE and
Gentoo already do) that for the foreseeable future ld.so will continue
to honour RPATH tags in executables without RUNPATH tags?

Like many others, I'm still creating binaries with RPATH and no
RUNPATH today and I'll probably continue doing so for some time. The
"Use of DT_RPATH is deprecated" statement in the man page was brought
up and I'd like to be able to confidently say that a new ld.so won't
suddenly stop using the RPATH in existing executables.

Thanks,

Jonathan