Re: glibc supporting legacy kernels < 2.4.20?

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Monday 20 February 2012 12:31:36 ttk wrote:
>> I'd like to compile a glibc 32 bit version which can be used to produce
>> static executables which run on a wide range of linux kernels (including
>> 2.2.x and 2.0.x if at all possible). However, from my tests I believe
>> 2.4.20 might be the minimum kernel version still being supported (due to
>> tls), right?
>
> linuxthreads isn't supported anymore either which means 2.6.x is the min
> supported in mainline
> -mike

If you want to run on an old kernel I would recommend using old tools.

Using a new glibc with threading requires NPTL/TLS and that requires
2.6.x, though it varies by architecture.

It is a bug in glibc if you build a legitimate application and it
crashes at runtime in the glibc provided runtimes.

Please file a bug for this in the bugzilla.