Re: Tell gcc/glibc not to use symbols higher than X.Y

On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:21 -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 11/22/2011 4:37 AM, Yura Pakhuchiy wrote:
> > 1) To use LSB. Seems to be right decision on the first glance, but it
> > looks like distributions do not install LSB loader by default. At least
> > Ubuntu 10.04 and CentOS 5.7 do not have any /lib/ld-lsb.so* installed by
> > default. So binary will not work in these distributions out of the box.
> > More over I get some misleading error message like "file not found",
> > rather than something more meaningful like "LSB not installed, do
> > apt-get install lsb" when I try to run it on Ubuntu without LSB
> > installed.
>
> Use LSB. Require your users to install base LSB packages. Better yet when
> you build your RPM or DEB, depend upon the required LSB packages.

Will it be badly wrong to use LSB, but revert loader
to /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (having in mind that only glibc will be
shared-linked and everything else linked statically)? It seems to me
this will work on any LSB-compliant distro, but will not require LSB
loader to be installed. Or I misunderstood something?

--
Best regards,
        Yura