Re: Static libc.a and weak __pthread_unwind symbol problem

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011 00:32:36 Bryan Ischo wrote:
> You are right, I am not familiar with the history.  It is unfortunate
> that the patches are not accepted and that the toolchain maintainers
> have not ensured that this process is more sane

while this is true ...

> realize that people building cross-compilers are in a very small
> minority and that those that do so typically are doing so as part of
> commercial ventures and could be reasonably expected to support themselves.

... but i dont think this really is anymore.  cross-compiling is pretty common
nowadays and only getting more so as ARM rises in importance.  the vast
majority of my work has been personal interest driven, but perhaps i'm an
oddity in the field.

> I did try crosstools-ng and it did build a gcc/binutils combo for x86_64
> targeting mips.  Of course, that is only part of the problem, glibc
> needs to be built too using that compiler but ostensibly that is not
> hard.  And to replicate what my script does, which is to build a
> toolchain for an arbitrary host/target combo, I will have to script
> multiple invocations of crosstools-ng interspersed with additional
> builds of glibc, etc, making the whole process likely nearly as
> complicate as the script I already have.

i think you're mistaken.  crosstool-ng operates on config files which
describes the desired toolchain, so you should only need to execute it twice
and give it a different config each time.  there should be no need to build
any toolchain packages yourself by hand.

> And furthermore, crosstools-ng
> isn't able to build gcc 4.6.1 yet (at least it's not in the current
> download) and I don't know what kind of issues that is going to introduce.

crosstool-ng has a dedicated mailing list with an active maintainer and
community.  easy enough for you to post a patch to add gcc-4.6.1.
-mike