Re: How is ld-linux.so.2 [re]located?

On 26 Mar 2011, Mike Frysinger spake thusly:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Nix wrote:
>> You can still generate a specs file and use that. -dumpspecs is an
>> old, old option. (Indeed compilers as old as GCC 2.96 used external
>> specs files at all times, so Tom probably just needs to find the specs
>> file that's already there in the GCC 2.96 tooldir and edit it. It will
>> almost certainly be using --dynamic-linker already.)
>
> ... which still would only be useful for linking new code and not
> executing old binaries.

My perhaps erroneous impression was that he was trying to use an
old GCC to compile and link things that required it, but needed the
resulting binaries to look somewhere else for their ld.so.

I think, as a third alternative, that John Reiser has come up with
a proxying ld.so that can look all over the place for the real
ld.so to run.

... yep, here we are: <http://bitwagon.com/rtldi/rtldi.html>.  I never
tried it, so I don't know how well it still works, but presumably it
worked at one time. (Of course it too has a different name for
ld.so... so this might not help too terribly much if the problem is
indeed an existing binary that needs running.)

--
NULL && (void)