dl-minimal.c

Hi,

I'm profiling one application with two different memory allocators using valgrind (cachegrind). I note that when I use the glibc allocator dl-minimal.c/malloc shows up as occupying a not insignificant amount of cycles, whereas when I use my own allocator the amount is almost none.

I tried to work out what this code is for, to no avail; it seems to have something to do with dynamic linking, but I can't work out what. My main question really is: Is this just a "feature" of my using valgrind or does using the glibc allocator really entail some overhead from dl-minimal.c?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sam Jones