glibc2.3.2, linux 2.4.18, and TLS

I'm trying to build a version of glibc 2.3.2 that supports linuxthreads
and TLS (thread-local storage).  I want to use the resulting library with
a 2.4.18 Linux kernel.

The configure script has a --with-tls option, but it appears to be a no-op
-- it sets a variable in the configure script that is never referenced,
and the libraries that are built apparently contain no tls symbols (for
example, __tls_get_addr is missing).  I've made some progress by adding
CFLAGS
to enable TLS functionality, but I keep running into errors.  On my most
recent attempt, I had CFLAGS set to '-O2 -DUSE_TLS -DHAVE_TLS_SUPPORT
-DFLOATING_STACKS', and invoked configure as follows (I'm building in a
tls subdirectory of the top-level source directory)

../configure --prefix=/usr/local/tls --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads
--with-tls AUTOCONF=/usr/bin/autoconf

Can anyone tell me whether what I'm attempting should be possible?  The
code I'm building has a number of patches applied, but it doesn't seem
practical to list them all.  I'm hoping someone might be able to point me
to a source RPM or tarball that contains source I should be able to build.

Thanks,
Bryan Williams
Software Engineer
IBM