Re: newbie trying to compile libc 2.9 latest

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
> On 7 Feb 2009, Justin Mattock said:
>> Hey alright libc finally compiled.
>> (the beast is alive);
>> ran into some issues though i.g.
>> there's some issues when compiling
>> on a livecd(reason for gcc-core having the permissions
>> denied; should have been in the home directory);
>> also probably better having a created account to login into.
>> Also ran out of disk space(I guess compiling gcc-core takes more
>> than I had anticipated)
>
> 'make bootstrap-lean' deletes bootstrap phases after successful
> comparison and takes less space. By default, like all GNU packages,
> debugging information is included; this is a huge space hog: give
> it a Gb to be safe.

I saw with the lfs doc's to use strip

>> Anyways after finally seeing libc complete,
>> I issued sudo make install
>
> ARGH! I said repeatedly *make install install_root=/somewhere/or/other*

I know...
I made a note use install_root for libc or else
(posotive side is I'm getting good at reinstalling);

> You just overwrote your system's C library (or, rather, the critical
> symlinks in /lib: you only blew away the C library itself if you
> happened to be running the same version that you compiled).
>
> Think five times before running things as root that might ruin your
> whole system when run (there's exactly one such installation command:
> unfortunately for you it's glibc. 'ruin' == 'might have to boot off
> a CD to get your system back to life').

I just opt to reinstall(only takes a few minutes);
but as to saving the system, I think you would have to mount
(chrooting wont work) the broken system
then use install_root= for the correct library.
not sure about using dpkg though.

>> and then started receiving
>> Segmentation fault (core dump) in the terminal.
>
> Unsurprising. You *can* install glibc safely on a running system,
> but the process starts with a 'make install install_root=...' followed
> by an atomic move.
>
>>   ./configure ABI=32
>> CC=/home/name/Desktop/source/usr/local/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc-4.4.0
>> --build=core2 CFLAGS="-march=core2 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
>> CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" MAKEOPTS="-j3"
>
> 'core2' is not a valid system configuration triplet. -fomit-frame-pointer
> is provided by glibc if you configure with --enable-omitfp...

great!! the whole time I've been using core2(thinking the system was
good to go);

confusing though when I use i686 or i486 I receive an error.
what do you recommend for x86_64?
(I would like to go all x86_64 if it's not to much);

--
Justin P. Mattock