Re: autoconf AC_PREREQ ?

Carlos,
All,

On Thursday 02 October 2008 21:30:24 Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Yann E. MORIN
> <yann.morin.1998@anciens.enib.fr> wrote:
> > So with glibc, autoconf-2.53+ is required for glibc/configure.in, and the
> > wrapper correctly calls autoconf2.50. But because configure.in fragments are
> > parsed with the wrapper script, and they don't match the heuristics to call
> > autoconf2.50, autoconf2.13 gets called. Hence the errors.
> This is probably the easiest solution. Could you writeup a patch for
> this against CVS head, and test it?

Sorry, I don't get it... From what you quoted, it's not easy to see what you
advocate as being the easiest solution. The part you quoted was only the
explanation of why the problem occured, not a solution... :-/

Do you want a patch that renames all configure.in to configure.ac?
Or do you want a patch that adds AC_PREREQ to all configure.in files?

I don't do cvs, but renaming would be better with cvs commands rather than
a patch. And adding AC_PREREQ to configure.in fragments is kind of wrong,
as you explained earlier...

> Can you quote the autoconf manual describing the naming of
> "configure.ac" scripts?

From http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf.html :

3 Making configure Scripts
[--SNIP--]
To create a configure script with Autoconf, you need to write an Autoconf
input file configure.ac (or configure.in) and run autoconf on it.
[--SNIP--]
Files used in preparing a software package for distribution:

     your source files --> [autoscan*] --> [configure.scan] --> configure.ac

     configure.ac --.
                    |   .------> autoconf* -----> configure
     [aclocal.m4] --+---+
                    |   `-----> [autoheader*] --> [config.h.in]
     [acsite.m4] ---'

     Makefile.in -------------------------------> Makefile.in
[--SNIP--]

So, clearly, configure.ac is by far the prefered naming for autoconf >= 2.50
while configure.in is what was used by autoconf <= 2.13 and was kept for
*cough* backward compatibility *cough*...

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |