Re: patch to make init_array work (2nd version; resend)

  Roland> Your dl-fini.c fix is obviously correct and I put that in.

Great!  Thanks a lot!

  Roland> None of the messages I have seen from you or HJ have
  Roland> mentioned what the problem being fixed by HJ's changes was,
  Roland> so I had to look at the whole thing for a while to figure
  Roland> out what the point was.  (The arrays are already processed
  Roland> properly in loaded objects, but not in the executable
  Roland> itself.)  Now that I see the problem, I can at least put in
  Roland> those test cases.

Sorry, I think neither HJ nor I were trying to be cryptic.  Yes, the
main problem is indeed that .init_array/.fini_array don't get called
for the main program (though HJ's patch obviously address other things
as well, such as correcting the order of .fini_array calls and adding
test case).

  Roland> I don't like HJ's implementation, which introduces three new
  Roland> relocs in libc.so with weak references to symbols defined in
  Roland> crt1.o.  That's just nasty.  The simple thing would be to
  Roland> pass more arguments to __libc_start_main, which would
  Roland> require versioning.

  Roland> But I think that, in keeping with the convention that its
  Roland> own .init/.fini are the executable's problem, it would be
  Roland> cleanest for the arrays just to be handled by the existing
  Roland> init/fini functions in the executable.  That is, have the
  Roland> single function pair it passes (now _init/_fini) do all the
  Roland> work.  My first thought was to just put the code into
  Roland> crti.o/crtn.o, but this code should not go into shared
  Roland> libraries.

OK, I _think_ I understand your concern.  Perhaps we could just change
the platform-specific start.S to pass a different _init/_fini function
which takes care of calling init_array/fini_array?  If you think that
would work, I can take a stab at doing that for
sysdeps/ia64/elf/start.S.

Thanks,

	--david