Re: problems with ctype...

> Nope, I mean -Wr. If libc.so doesn't have any R_386_GLOB_DAT __ctype_b

Ah, I see the problem now.  Always forgetting about those pesky copy relocs.

I inserted compat_symbol (i.e. .symver) decls in lc-ctype.c where the
variables are set, and that gets those relocs bound early to the versioned
name and thus proper GLOB_DAT relocs in the shared object.

This exposed a trivial ld.so bug in handling relocs referring to
non-default versioned symbols defined in the same object, which I fixed.

I think this puts this problem to rest.  The only thing I don't know is if
older binutils versions have any problem producing the right output with
this usage.  I would tend to doubt off hand that it's a problem with the
new straightforward usage of the symbols by their versioned names.