locale loading changes

I've just checked in some changes to the locale loading code which
address the problem Jakub was reporting.  It is about the locale name
(in LC_ALL or wherever) naming a locale with a given codeset and the
actually locale not using this codeset.  This happens if one
specifies, e.g.,

+ LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8

+ there is no such locale

+ there is a locale de_DE with codeset ISO-8859-1

I would argue that this really shouldn't happen since all locales
should be created with a codeset name attached (leaving de_DE only for
message translations) but there are people not doing this.  Now they
are save since glibc will refuse to use a locale if the codeset is not
the same as the one mentioned in the locale name.

In the process I've found one or two more bugs and I'm pretty sure the
changes are stable.