last batch of changes

I've started working on removing more warnings.  The configparms file
I'm currently using is

CFLAGS = -march=pentiumpro -mcpu=i686 -O3 -g -D__USE_STRING_INLINES -fssa -freorder-blocks -Wall -Wcast-qual -Wbad-function-cast -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wcomment -Wcomments -Wtrigraphs -Wsign-compare -Wfloat-equal -Wmultichar

and I'll try to remove as many warnings as possible.  There are some
warnings which cannot be removed without effecting code generation in
a negative way (e.g., removing const from a global variable) and
everything which doesn't change or improves code generation should be
done.  Don't know whether anybody has interest in joining me to do this.