Re: A patch for libio/tst-widetext.c

Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl> writes:

> This is with Linux 2.2.14, glibc 2.1.3 (not the official release but
> something from CVS I installed on June 12), bash 2.04.0(2) (I believed
> I patched that one to get rid if the famous `invalid character 45'
> problem) and a make I compiled myself straight from the tar file.
>
> Looks like RedHet screwed this up.

I've looked through the changes from 3.79 to 3.79.1 and the problem is
that make tries to use the clock_*() functions which are new in 2.2
(therefore you don't see the problem with glibc 2.1.3).  The clock_*()
functions are in librt which brings in libpthread which restricts the
stack size to 2MB.

The solution: don't use clock_*() for Linux, it does not have any
advantage but instead causes these problems.

So no, Red Hat didn't screw up.  Paul added just another hardly tested,
useless feature to make.