[tb@MIT.EDU: Re: RMS is at it again]

To: drepper@cygnus.com (Ulrich Drepper)
Cc: Mark Kettenis <kettenis@wins.uva.nl>, libc-hacker@sourceware.cygnus.com
Subject: Re: RMS is at it again
From: tb@MIT.EDU (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
Date: 29 Jun 2000 07:11:33 -0400

[ Please forward this by hand to libc-hacker since my direct mail
  still gets bounced. ]

Ulrich Drepper <drepper@redhat.com> writes:

> To some extend.  But RMS still is in the position to say what is a GNU
> project and what not.

Sort of.  But not really.

If you fork, and say "I'm splitting from GNU libc" (as did the EGCS
people) then a fork will happen, rms will find some maintainer
somewhere, and the world will suck.

But if you say "I'm going to continue to maintain libc" and simply
respectfully answer his email but not give in on his requests merely
because he makes them (in fact, bring them to the attention of
libc-hacker right away!) then things will proceed without any fork.

RMS will never tell an active GNU maintainer that they are no longer
the maintainer, as long as their work is still respected and the
maintainer has not declared a fork.