version skipping

I've checked in the files Roland had in his initial mail.  The code
contained a few bugs bug after fixing them it seems to work now.  At
least for the case where no code is elided.

One more thing I want to see implemented: Let people overwrite the
decision through configure.  At least let it be more restrictive.  The
reason for that is that in very limited environments where all the
applications running are under control one might be sure to not have
to care about old code.

Volunteers?