GPL (not LGPL) in libio and restrictions

The license in the libio subdirectory is different from the licence in
the rest of glibc. glibc uses the LGPL everywhere except in the libio
subdirectory where most (not all) files have the following copyright:

/* Copyright (C) 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
   This file is part of the GNU IO Library.

   This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
   modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
   published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at
   your option) any later version.

   This library is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
   WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the GNU
   General Public License for more details.

   along with this library; see the file COPYING.  If not, write to
   the Free Software Foundation, 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston,
   MA 02111-1307, USA.

   As a special exception, if you link this library with files
   compiled with a GNU compiler to produce an executable, this does
   not cause the resulting executable to be covered by the GNU General
   Public License.  This exception does not however invalidate any
   other reasons why the executable file might be covered by the GNU
   General Public License.  */

Please note that this is the GPL (not LGPL) and note also the last
paragraph where it speaks about a "GNU compiler".  This implies that
I'm not allowed to use any other compiler beside gcc [1].

At first sight I consider this is a real problem for using glibc2.
Are my observations ok?  Please correct me and clarify the situation.

Thanks,
Andreas

Footnotes:
[1]  We could even discuss whether egcs is really a GNU compiler but
     with the recent developments (egcs taking over gcc) this would be
     really academically.

--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de
  for pgp-key finger ajaeger@aixd1.rhrk.uni-kl.de