Re: BIND 8 and libresolv's soname

Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> writes:

> have written nss-v1 for SuSE or Cristian glibc-compat for RedHat) ?
> Then it is no problem: We could bump the major number, and have the
> old version for binary compatibility. I think we don't need to be able
> to link against this old version.

This shouldn't be necessary.  From the bit of time I've spend with
this stuff it seems that it is possible to provide the old libresolv
behaviour using the new functionality.  It's not that existing
functions are now incompatible in the new version.  Rather functions
are not exported anymore and new functions are added.  If this is the
case we can "simply" add the new functionality to the existing code
and rewrite the existing funcationality in terms of the new one.