Re: More on 32bit/64bit ABIs under LinuxOAOAOB

> On Apr 22, 1999, Jakub Jelinek <jj@sunsite.ms.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
>
> > I have a modified ldconfig which handles all of this from within one
> > ld.so.conf (attached bellow).
>
> Sounds good, except that it would break programs that already rely on
> the format of ld.so.conf.  Libtool, for example, was more than once
> suggested to parse ld.so.conf looking for directories that need not be
> hardcoded into executables.  Unfortunately, the current documentation
> of ldconfig/ld.so.conf doesn't leave much space for
> backward-compatible extensions :-(

So do you think some proggie already understands
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib=libc5

and will not understand if after the = there is some other word?
=libc5 =libc6 =libc4 has been supported already for quite some time, at
least ldconfig-980708 has that feature.
Also, I wonder if such parser uses proper directory separators, as
ld.so.conf can be separated by ":, \t\n".

Cheers,
    Jakub
Jakub Jelinek | jj@sunsite.mff.cuni.cz | http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz
Administrator of SunSITE Czech Republic, MFF, Charles University
UltraLinux  |  http://ultra.linux.cz/  |  http://ultra.penguin.cz/
Linux version 2.2.5 on a sparc64 machine (3958.37 BogoMips)