Re: 2.2 projects

   From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
   Date: 28 Jan 1999 13:12:01 -0800

   > - Thomas's pthreads rewrite

   Well, this is something we have to talk about in much more details.  A
   thread implementation is very system specific in the low-level code.
   And I have some ideas on what we should try to implement.  Those who
   are with Linux and the libc development for some time (means, 6 years
   or more) might remember my initial proposal which was based on the
   Mach scheduler activations paper.  I still think this is the by far
   most powerful model if implemented correctly.  It combines the
   benefits of kernel threads with that of user-level threads.

Please include me in the discussions.  I think I skimmed over the
paper you mentioned this week.  I'll try to read it in detail in the
near future.  Right now I have droppen user-level threads for the Hurd
for the moment.  There are some limitations in the current
implementation of the Hurd signal handling that prevent us (the Hurd
folks) from using them.  And we really want to have pthreads on the
Hurd in the near future.  I think it should be possible to add them in
a later stage without breaking binary compatability.  By the way, I
think the cthreads library that comes with the OSF Mach kernel that is
distributed together with MkLinux has an implementation of the things
you are proposing.

Mark