Re: A patch for glibc 2.0/2.1

   From: hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu)
   Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:08:13 -0800 (PST)

   glibc is the foundation of a Linux system. We have to deal ANY
   potential problems. So many developers have been actively working
   on egcs. But very few people work on gcc. When something goes wrong
   with glibc which is caused by egcs, we can expect it will be fixed
   very quickly. The worst case is I may have to make a Linux release
   of egcs to address the problem. But the same thing cannot be said
   for gcc. We don't want to be flooded with ANY glibc bug reports
   associated with gcc. That is why I suggest we require egcs for
   compiling glibc 2.1.

It may be because hardly anybody uses gcc 2.8.1 on Linux anymore, but I
haven't seen any reports about gcc miscompiling glibc lately, whereas
we've seen a lot of bug reports about egcs.

Remember that gcc 2.8.1 has gotten a bad name amongst Linux users
because it fails to compile the 2.0.x kernels, because these used some
undocumented inline assembler features.  And of course it is not
really useful for C++ (but who wants to write C++ anyway :-)).  But
that's all irrelevent for compiling glibc.

Mark