Re: too early, no vfork

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> Why can't you just make vfork() an inline function?

We have to have a function in any way (for when function pointers are
used or when the compiler does not honor the inline).  But this will
mean we have different implementations for the inline case and the
non-inline case (vfork vs. fork).  Programs compiled without
optimization suddenly behave differently.  Granted, this happens only
for code which has a different understanding of vfork but still it is
another source of problems which is not necessary.

The vfork syscall code in the kernel is really small, so why not avoid
this problem?