Re: What needs to be recompiled when upgrading to 2.1?

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Roland McGrath wrote:

> I would suggest to the distribution makers that they should start making a
> separate glibc-nss package containing just the libnss_*.so libraries.  Then
> multiple glibc-nss packages can be simultaneously installed as needed, just
> like other shared libraries.  That will continue to be the right thing when
> the issue comes up again with a libnss soname change.

Well, ths issue is more complex than just shipping some .so modules. Take
for example libnss_db.so.1 versus libnss_db.so.2. If I ship the binary
from glibc 2.0.7 then the runtime linkiong prblems for the static bins
might be resolved, but the module is potentially useless, since most
likely the whole system will be using db2 instead of the db 1.85. So to
get a module that will not only allow the static binaries to start, but
also work as expected, we will need to modify the libnss_db.so.1 to make
it able to read db2 databases.

db 1.85 -> db2 switch is another painfull transition that glibc 2.1 brings
along, a transition which I am not sure exactly how to handle. MAybe
providing a migratedb binary, that given a db 1.85 binary database will
migrate it to db2 ?

Cristian
Cristian Gafton   --   gafton@redhat.com   --   Red Hat Software, Inc.