Re: Statically linked binary & NSS

> Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com> writes:
>
> > Can we improve this situation?
>
> Why?  Static binaries are evil, nobody should ever use any.

Don't be silly.  Static linking has its uses, though not many of them, and
people should be able to use it when they want to.  I certainly agree that
it's not a priority for spending time on.

> This is common practice on Solaris, HPUX and probably more in future as
> Sun seems to license NSS to others.

What is common practice?  Failing to support static linking?  So is failing
to give away the source code.  Common practice has never been a reason by
itself to do something.