Re: Subdirs

>I see.  You are concerned with code that is directly linked in, right, not
>just the size of the shared library?  So which functions you are in fact
>using refer to lots of code that you do not want?

Yes, exactly.  Some of my target applications have no shared library support
at all - everything is statically linked.  So I'm quite keen to avoid pulling
in more code than necessary.

>That becomes a hairy issue of the ABI dependency encodings.  Can you be
>more specific about what you have in mind (i.e. what code you'd want to
>leave out)?  Perhaps we can move some things into separate libraries, and
>use linker magic to avoid users having to use -lfoobar for them.

In general my main concern at the moment is that various parts of the library
seem to require locale, gconv or wcsmbs whereas in fact in many applications I
have no use for any locale other than the C default, internationalisation or
wide characters.  In turn these require routines such as the dynamic linking
code and regex; from a look at a link map these seem to add up to a fair
amount of code.  I'm not sure whether this is easily extractable into separate
libraries.

I'll have to do some experimentation in this area to see what is worthwhile.

p.