Re: Question about <linux/loop.h> - PR libc/786

>glibc does not define the loop_info structure needed to configure the linux
>loopback block device. losetup/mount simply include linux/loop.h. The problem
>is that loop_info contains dev_t members, which are 16bit in the kernel and
>32bit in glibc userland. Result is that losetup messes up all structure offset

I think losetup and mount can both be counted as Linux-specific utilities that
need intimate knowledge of kernel structures.  We've always said that such
programs should define their own interfaces if they need them, either
internally or by having the kernel people provide and maintain a "libloop"
that knows about the interface the kernel expects.

If glibc's loop.h header is useless and broken it can just be deleted.

p.