libc-19980524:

Hi!

I reported this bug a month ago, but it still hasn't been fixed.  This
bug prevents GNU libc from compiling correctly on the Hurd.

The problem is that sometime in libc's development, people started
using the common-generated, generated, and generated-dirs Makefile
variables for files that were just `generated', but the original
intent was to use them only for `before-compile' files.

This only compilation only on the Hurd, by introducing a circular
dependency in sysdeps/mach/hurd/Makefile.

My last patch for this problem renamed the `generated' set of
variables to be `clean', and then reintroduced the `generated'
variables only for pregenerated files.  However, I have come up with a
much less intrusive change, in the hopes that it will be more easily
understood.

1998-05-25  Gordon Matzigkeit  <gord@profitpress.com>

	* sysdeps/mach/hurd/Makefile: Use the `before-compile' target in
	order to build header files, not `generated'.

	* Rules (before-compile): New target which depends on all
	$(before-compile) files.

This makes all cases work: whether building in the standard order, or
by running `make SOMEDIR/subdir_lib'.

Thanks,

--
Gordon Matzigkeit   \ Proudly running pieces of the GNU operating system.
gord@profitpress.com \ Jacques Cousteau loved programming in assembler.

libc-19980524-gen.diff