Re: What to do about gnulib libio dependencies?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:41 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>
>> Why is gnulib expecting these internals
>> to be stable?
>
> It's not. If glibc changes its internals in this area, gnulib will have to
> either adapt or give up. I hope it won't be the latter; too many GNU
> programs use that functionality.

I think it would clarify this discussion if you gave concrete examples
of existing programs that use these functions, and described what they
are doing with them that can't be accomplished using the standard
interfaces.  Since Florian expressed concern specifically about their
interaction with wide streams, it would also be good to know if these
programs ever make any use of wide streams (I tend to think that the
entire wchar.h set of interfaces is not fit for purpose anyway and
shouldn't be a priority).

zw