Re: Testing and LD_PRELOAD

On 08/20/2018 05:59 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> I saw a few unexpected glibc test failures after an upgrade to Ubuntu
> 18.04, which I traced to LD_PRELOAD being set by default (to
> libgtk3-nocsd.so.0) in the environment, which doesn't work for some glibc
> tests.
>
> Should the testsuite give an obvious error somewhere early for native
> testing if you have LD_PRELOAD set?

In configure? I think we should error out very early.

We can't disable /etc/ld.so.preload handling since that would invalidate
the testing we're doing ourselves.

Perhaps eventually we enable DJ's test-in-container, really installed tree
testing, for all the tests? DJ did test this by enabling it for all tests,
and it ran relatively well, but the parallelism issues and disk space
consumption need to be sorted out.

So for now I think an error early in configure is best. That way the developer
knows to adjust their system configuration.

Carlos.