Re: PT_NOTE alignment, NT_GNU_PROPERTY_TYPE_0, glibc and gold

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 08:20:53AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > Having a mix of 4-byte words and 8-byte words ELF Notes
> > in the same ELF file seems unnecessarily confusing and
> > introduces extra segments and sections.
>
> There are no 8-byte word ELF notes on GNU systems, that's an HP-UX feature.
> The new 8-byte-aligned notes still have a four-byte header.

Yes, you are right, HP-UX follows gabi and has 64-bit word notes,
with 8-byte alignment. I meant the different padding used with GNU
style 32-bit word ELF notes to get different alignment styles which
is confusing and none compliant to any standard.

> But like you, I don't yet see the value of the 8-byte alignment.  We could
> decide that the current gold behavior is valid, fix glibc, and move on.

Right. gold seems to produce normal GNU abi ELF Notes, which should
be accepted as is.

Cheers,

Mark