Re: RISC-V glibc port, v5

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 05:58:15PM +0000, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Jan 2018, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
>
> > I believe we've taken into account all the feedback, and are now below 20 test
>
> Still missing an ldd_rewrite_script setting as mentioned as needed for
> multi-ABI support in
> <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-01/msg00008.html> and
> <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-01/msg00521.html>.
>
> The most important thing to figure out at this point - and then stick to
> (changing your mind after the start of the freeze is not a good way to get
> a port into 2.27) - is the choice of exactly what architecture and ABI
> combinations are supported by the port, as that determines what changes
> are needed to have an internally consistent port without lots of
> untestable code for unsupported combinations, and a significant proportion
> of issues from the patch reviews of multiple versions of the RISC-V port
> have been inconsistencies regarding what is supposed to be supported
> (especially when the choice has changed between versions of the port,
> without the changes being carried out consistently through the whole patch
> series).

I don't speak for Palmer nor SiFive, but from my point of view the
urgency to get this in glibc 2.27 is so we can get a stable ABI, which
we can then use to sanely port Fedora & Debian over to RISC-V.

The specific hardware we are targetting initially is the 64 bit SiFive
Freedom U500 [I don't know what the chip will be called in the end -- E500?]
which is RV64GC.

I believe therefore the only stable ABI we care about is rv64gc/lp64d.
Anything else can be unstable/omitted/whatever.

Rich.