Re: Upstreaming the glibc Hurd port

On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 19 Jan 2018, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> >
> > The source file sysdeps/mach/hurd/bits/errno.h is generated from sources
> > including some headers from those components.  I don't know how often
> > those may change in ways that affect that header, or what versions the
> > current header corresponds to, but in any case it's a known issue that
> > there are several generated files in the source tree that
> > build-many-glibcs.py doesn't yet touch on checkout.
>
> Note that there is no particularly good reason to have this file
> checked in.  It's generated with an awk script, and the files it's

I'm not sure if having a non-checked-in generated file override another
file in the source tree works correctly, the way a checked-in sysdeps file
does override other files in the source tree.  (sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c is
another case of a sysdeps generated file - it needs to override
stdio-common/errlist.c, and for that matter gets included by
sysdeps/mach/hurd/errlist.c.)

If the search orderings work correctly - both for finding files during the
build, and for installing the correct bits/errno.h header (and the
build-tree errlist.c can be properly included from the source-tree
sysdeps/mach/hurd/errlist.c) - then there shouldn't be any need for either
sysdeps/mach/hurd/bits/errno.h or sysdeps/gnu/errlist.c to be checked in.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com