Upstreaming the glibc Hurd port

As far as I understand it, the Hurd port of glibc is currently mostly a downstream affair, maintained in the Debian archive. The current upstream tree does not build, even natively on the Hurd itself.

What would be necessary to get it into a state that in can be built with a cross-compiler, perhaps even using build-many-glibcs.py? Are FSF copyright assignments in place for all the relevant patches? Is it just a matter of someone doing the work of upstreaming all the existing patches?

I'm asking because we may want to implement rather far-reaching dynamic linker and a thread library integration changes, and having a buildable in-tree port for Hurd would make it at least possible to ensure that it keeps building, and that we do not make choices which are very difficult to mirror on the Hurd side.

If we cannot resolve this is in the coming months, I think we should seriously consider a removal of the Hurd port, I'm afraid.

Thanks,
Florian