Re: glibc 2.27: 3 weeks till release

On 01/18/2018 12:59 PM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:
My knowledge about static linking (with or without PIE) is kinda limited
but I think that in order to make the binary locale data backward and
forward compatible some sanity tests in locale/loadlocale.c would have to
be relaxed.  For example, LC_TIME should have 159 entries but 111 entries
should be also OK because ALTMON arrays are optional and we could copy the
missing entries from MON arrays.  At the moment my patches do this when
converting the locale data source code into the binary version but not
when loading the binary data.  Now the sanity tests check if the LC_TIME
size is exactly 159 (that's after my patches are applied, 111 in the
currently existing version) and reject the locale data if this is different.
Of course, this change is impossible for the statically linked binaries
which already exist so this is not helpful for you.

Yes, the final part is the typical problem. I have thought about this some more and I don't think we need to preserve static binary compatibility at this point. In the future, when we improve static linking in general, we should consider relaxing the consistency checks and perhaps change the way we add new locale data to accommodate existing binaries.

But as I said, currently, this doesn't have to be taken into consideration.

Thanks,
Florian