Re: What can a thread do with PTHREAD_STACK_MIN?

On 12/20/2017 05:58 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
Szabolcs, Florian,

I see that both of you have been looking at pthread issues involving
stack, guards, and TLS, and their relative relations to stack sizes
in the APIs.

I would like to get consensus on what a thread can do with PTHREAD_STACK_MIN
amount of stack.

I propose the following:
~~~
The implementation only guarantees that a thread with PTHREAD_STACK_MIN
can be created, but such space does not take into consideration the
thread's stack requirements to execute the start routine. No additional
space, beyond that for the start routine, should be required to join the
thread again.

Therefore for a thread to be both startable and joinable it must have
PTHREAD_STACK_MIN stack and the stack required for start routine as a
minimum.
~~~

Does this mean new targets should define PTHREAD_STACK_MIN as zero, if we continue to exclude the guard and TLS sizes from the stack size?

This is not at all how PTHREAD_STACK_MIN is used by GNU/Linux applications, though, which is why I don't think this interpretation is particularly useful.

I don't think we can realistically provide a complete fix for this any time soon (which involve documenting glibc function stack size requirements, so that applications can review their stack size choices). So I think the only way forward is to address regressions as they arise, by reducing the size of stack frames or change the way the stack size is accounted.

Thanks,
Florian