Re: New way for syncing with kernel headers

Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 12/08/2017 08:49 PM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> - I don't see any uses of LINUX_VERSION_CODE in glibc today except in
>>    the configure script.  Is there a reason to prefer
>>    __LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION instead (maybe for a more stable namespace,
>>    even in contexts where namespace polution is not an issue)?
>
> We need something which is defined in an UAPI header today.
>
> __LINUX_KERNEL_VERSION is an internal glibc macro for a different purpose:
> it indicates the minimum (assumed) kernel version.

Yes, that makes sense.  I think the answer to my implied question of why
we weren't using LINUX_VERSION_CODE is that we just hadn't needed it yet.

For what it's worth, your proposal still sounds good to me.

>> - I'd worry about the LINUX_VERSION_CODE < 4.14 case bitrotting.  Is
>>    there an easy way to ensure it gets test-compiled e.g. as part of
>>    build-many-glibcs?
>
> Easy is relative: Build with older kernel headers.

I was hoping for something more lightweight than an additional full
glibc build, but that certainly works in a pinch.

Thanks,
Jonathan