Re: Glibc stable release process (Glibc 2.26.1)

On 09/30/2017 04:27 PM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
It also leads to, say, a CVE be able to list "fixed in 2.26.5"
and everyone (and all more importantly, all tools that we all use
to cross reference our distros to CVE databases) will know if things
are already fixed, or if someone needs to take a look for a fix
to backport outside of the releases

There aren't supposed to be any merges on release branches, and we should enforce that with an update hook (we currently don't).

If we do that and tag the master branch right after it is opened for development, then you could use “git describe” to generate unique version numbers for every commit on a stable branch.

Publishing tarballs just to turn 2.26-40 into 2.26.5 is a waste of resources, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Florian