Re: Removing ChangeLog [Was Re: 2.26 hard freeze status]

On 08/03/2017 07:22 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> In both cases, more pre-commit review of commit messages than at present
> would be needed, and stronger requirements on having substantive commit
> messages.

We presently review ChangeLogs are part of a patch submission, so I see
no real difference in reviewing the content of a proposed commit message.

If we moved towards linux-style review I think we could do worse, and the
kernel has already worked out a lot of these issues. For example by
accepting body of the email as the commit message, for having the ability
to use consistent tags (signed-off-by) to mark various types of behaviour
(including testing).

Enabling linux<->glibc cross collaboration by harmonizing our process
would be beneficial to both communities.

Carlos.