Re: Removing ChangeLog [Was Re: 2.26 hard freeze status]

On Thursday 03 August 2017 02:24 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The largest obstacle is that we currently do not have a culture of
> reviewing commit message contents.  Dates are often wrong.  Authors
> sometimes as well.  Some of the commit messages are excessive long.
> Others do not even give a hint to what is being changed in the commit.
> Most of the commits are perfectly acceptable (but slightly
> inconsistent), but if we use the commit log as a data source for the
> ChangeLog (or as a replacement), we'd have to improve things a bit, I think.

I agree, and I hope that we improve over time as we shift focus from
reviewing the ChangeLog to reviewing the content of the commit message,
i.e. the email itself.  Perhaps automating commits (via patchwork,
gerrit, etc) is something that will aid this, but that could be a
separate discussion.

Siddhesh