Re: 2.26 hard freeze status

On 07/29/2017 10:16 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jul 29 2017, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I would prefer that.  For me, the large ChangeLog file adds substantial
>> overhead when rsync'ing full trees (including the .git subdirectory).
>
> Why is that an overhead?  You have to transfer the data anyway, whether
> it is in a single file or not.

rsync incremental transfers don't work for compressed ChangeLog file
objects in .git/.  Right now, they are fairly large (750 KB), and you
can easily have many of them if you keep rebasing a long patch series
which updates ChangeLog.

After the updates, those compressed objects would be significantly
smaller for quite some time because ChangeLog is much shorter.

Florian