Re: 2.26 hard freeze status

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:45 AM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jul 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to ask for the ChangeLog to be rotated immediately after the
>> release.  We've made no progress on automatic generation of the darn
>> thing, and the current file is 10x larger than any of the previous
>> ones.
>
> I've just sent a message to bug-standards@gnu.org proposing no longer
> requiring ChangeLogs or commit logs in ChangeLog format when the
> conditions I proposed at
> <https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-01/msg00041.html> are met.  I'd
> suggest people interested in issues relating to GNU Coding Standards
> requirements for ChangeLogs (as opposed to techniques for automatic
> generation in the existing format) should follow up there.

Thank you for doing that.  I'm not sure I want to go all the way to
not even writing ChangeLog-like lists in the commit messages, mainly
because I find reading through the diff and composing a ChangeLog to
be a useful way of checking over my patches for silly mistakes, but
that's a detail.

However, the status quo is not going to change any time soon, so I
still would like glibc's ChangeLog to be rotated.

zw