Re: A quick architecture status report

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 11:59 AM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Jul 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:
>> Hm, what do you think of this patch?  It makes elf/check-execstack an
>> expected failure on any target where the compiler doesn't put
>> .note.GNU-stack sections in its output.  (UNSUPPORTED might be more
>> appropriate, but I don't see a way to trigger that from a makefile
>> conditional.)
>
> It's not clear it *should* be expected unless there's a good
> architecture-specific reason.

This is why I said UNSUPPORTED might be more appropriate.

Regardless of whether it *should* work, the fact is that it doesn't,
for reasons outside the control of code in glibc, and therefore
leaving this as a FAIL is inappropriate in my book.  Would you be
satisfied with a patch along these lines (and a more specific
configure check, because of what Andreas said downthread) if I also
filed bugs on GCC for all affected architectures?  I didn't find any
existing such bugs, but I didn't look very hard.

zw