Re: A quick architecture status report

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 7:29 AM, Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> The powerpc64le-linux-gnu failure is the issue under discussion with a
> libgcc IFUNC doing things that aren't safe in IFUNCs.  (And build for
> powerpc64le-linux-gnu fails since --enable-profile was added to
> build-many-glibcs.py.)

Good to know. For the record, this testing was done with glibc rev
254bdaeb060095fb5025287daa62e79d141f0d50 + the set of HPPA fixes John
Anglin sent me some time ago -- the change to add --enable-profile is
the very next thing committed to master.

> There are at least three possible explanations for check-execstack
> failures, each of which should be addressed in a different way.
>
> * Architecture does not support the page permissions required for non-exec
> stacks: XFAIL with a comment to that effect.
>
> * Architecture has the required support, all that's needed is a
> straightforward GCC change to include the required section in
> compiler-generated objects and libgcc objects from assembly sources: make
> that GCC change.
>
> * Support is possible, but more complicated toolchain / kernel changes are
> needed for some architecture-specific reason: XFAIL with a comment
> explaining the issues, as on MIPS.

Alas, this is significantly more research than I have time for.  I was
hoping for a simple matter of adding .note.GNU-stack annotations to
our own .S files :)

(Where is this "XFAIL with comment explaining the issues" for MIPS?  I
don't see anything of the sort in elf/Makefile or
scripts/check-execstack.awk.)

zw