Re: Basic requirements for supporting OS and machine ports.

On 04/18/2017 01:15 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 9:49 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 04/18/2017 03:47 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>>
>>> (a) If your OS and machine port has build-many-glibcs.py support then all
>>>      maintainers will strive to ensure that their changes do not break
>>> those
>>>      OS and machine combinations supported by the script, and will work to
>>>      correct any such past breakage.
>>

>> I don't want to see running build-many-glibcs.py as a requirement for
>> posting patches.  The main reason for that is that it's rather expensive
>> (either you need to be very patient, or you need a fairly big machine).
>
> I agree.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully my comments downthread make it clear that I don't intend for
anyone to run build-many-glibcs.py for each commit, but that if it breaks
that we are accountable to determining why it broke because it's a minimum
requirement for supporting an OS or a machine port.

To give an example: You checkin a patch you only tested on ppc64le and
AArch64 and it breaks build-many-glibcs.py for s390x. We would expect
that the committer of that change is on the hook for figuring out why
s390x broke and fixing it or reverting the change.

Carlos.