Re: nss_compat for non-NIS services

On 03/13/2017 02:40 PM, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Mon, Mar 13, Florian Weimer wrote:

Historically, nss_compat was documented as a NIS thing.

However, it seems that its used has evolved considerably since that.  Do we
see a future for it beyond NIS?  Should we advertise its existence for use
with non-NIS service modules?

Currently it is still part of glibc and I have still no Ok to submit my "deprecating libnsl"
patches.
But even if we deprecate it, in my opinion it doesn't make any difference,
if it is part of glibc or coming from an "external" package. LDAP and similar stuff
is doing that, too.

Sure, I understand that. My question was not about deprecation as such, but if there is a reasonable expectation that nss_compat works in a NIS-less environment.

We split nss_compat from the main glibc package in Fedora and put it together with nss_nis (based on a manpage at the time, which said that it was NIS-only). I'll consider moving it back to the main glibc package if there is actual non-NIS usage for nss_compat.

Thanks,
Florian