Re: Fifth draft of the Y2038 design document

Hi Joseph,

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:21:22 +0000, Joseph Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote :

> On Thu, 23 Feb 2017, Albert ARIBAUD wrote:
>
> > - a [32-bit-time] implementation of 'int clock_gettime(clockid_t,
> >   struct timespec *tp)' exists, and is referred to by the implementation
> >   symbol '__clock_gettime'.
> >
> > - 'clock_gettime' redirects to '__clock_gettime'.
>
> No, it doesn't redirect.  User application code is compiled to .o files
> that reference clock_gettime, not __clock_gettime.  __clock_gettime is a
> GLIBC_PRIVATE symbol, only for internal use by glibc libraries when
> required for namespace reasons, not for application code.  Whereas
> __clock_gettime64 would have a public GLIBC_2.X symbol version since
> references to it would be generated by redirections in headers when the
> user defines a feature test macro supported for user code.

Thanks for the rectification; I think now I have the terminology and
concepts straight, and -- assuming the rest is correct -- I will edit
the document for next review.

Cordialement,
Albert ARIBAUD
3ADEV