Re: Fifth draft of the Y2038 design document

On Wed, 22 Feb 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> > On Wed, 22 Feb 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> >>
> >> In the specific case of tv_nsec, I am so convinced that the bare
> >> 'long' is a bug in the standards that I think we should just go ahead
> >> and introduce nsec_t unilaterally.  I am 100% serious.
> >
> > If it were clear there would have been more interest (than none) in such a
> > change when it was raised with the Austin Group.
>
> I don't much care why the Austin Group doesn't understand that this is
> a bug.  It remains a bug and we should not delay fixing it just
> because they don't get it.

I don't consider it a bug (on the contrary, I agree with Rich Felker that
the x32 choice of a different type is a bug and it would be preferable for
the kernel to handle the high part of nanoseconds as padding when coming
from a 32-bit process, but in the absence of the kernel doing this glibc
should do so).

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com